Surrounded by lush Royal parks, famous landmarks, leading art galleries, world-class retail, and a plethora of London’s finest restaurants, hotels and private members clubs, The Buckingham is situated at the very heart of all that makes London magnificent.
For luxury retail, the shops of Knightsbridge and Mayfair set the pace for the rest of the world, whilst St. James’s provides the finest craftsmanship. With Bond Street, Savile Row, Jermyn Street, world-renowned department stores Harrods, Harvey Nichols and Fortnum & Mason’s all just a stone’s throw away, the surrounding area provides a shopping mecca that provides some of London’s oldest and most contemporary shopping, all within close proximity.
There is an abundance of modern restaurant classics such as Le Caprice and Olivomare within easy reach of The Buckingham, with some of London’s most renowned fine dining spots, such as Le Gavroche, Scott’s, Zuma and Nobu, also very close by. Residents at The Buckingham also benefit from close proximity to London’s finest five star hotels such as The Dorchester, The Goring and Duke’s Hotel as well as the esteemed Private Members Clubs Whites, Boodles and the RAC.
Views from The Buckingham overlook two of London’s trio of Royal Parks – St James’s Park and Green Park. Amongst these peaceful and immaculately tended parks, boating lakes, outdoor restaurants, art galleries, pavilions, playgrounds and famous landmarks are in abundance. Few people are able to enjoy such close proximity to some of Europe’s most beautiful and cherished green spaces.
London’s greatest art galleries, museums and theatres are all within easy reach of The Buckingham. Tate Britain is less than a mile from The Buckingham’s front door, with the National Gallery and a host of contemporary houses such as Hauser & Wirth, White Cube and the Saatchi Gallery also close by. The trinity of great auction houses – Christie’s, Southeby’s and Phillips – are all within the same vicinity.
The Buckingham stands in the former grounds of the Jacobean mansion, Tart Hall. In 1633 the Hall was purchased by Thomas Howard, the Earl of Arundel, for his wife, Lady Alethea, as a pleasant retreat from Arundel House, near the Strand. By the mid-19th century, a newly laid road ‘Buckingham Gate’ first appeared on the ordnance survey map of 1869, at the same time as the Duchy of Cornwall office, accompanied by the legend ‘Site of Tart Hall’.